The need for exploration, and conservation of our wild places has never been stronger. We have become disconnected with our natural world. Here are some facts…
- 20 years ago kids in North America spent 80% of their free time playing outside. Today they spend less than 20%
- Adults, aren’t much better, we are spending less than half as much time outside as we did 20 years ago.
- Kids today spend less than 30 minutes playing outside, compared to over 3 hours playing outside just thirty years ago.
- Kids today spend over 7 hours a day in front of an electronic screen, which is a key factor in why childhood obesity has doubled in the last 20 years.
- Children’s stress levels fall within minutes of seeing green spaces.
- Outside play, even for adults, enhances social interactions, value for community and close relationships.
- Loss of nature contributes to higher levels of anxiety and depression.